Sunday, February 13, 2011

Endzweck - 2006 The Grapes of Wrath


Band : Endzweck
Album : The Grapes of  Wrath
Release Year : 2006
Genre : Hardcore / Progressive / Screamo

Tracklist :
1. the time to resist
2. coercion of love
3. betrayer
4. bitter smile
5. sounds of military boots
6. for eternal disobedience
7. lies for the right
8. mirror and future
9. release
10. capitalists and communists
11. strange logic
12. armless for idealism

The name of this band has a German sound to it, but when I see the names of the musicians (Takashi Uesugi, Akifumi Mochizuki, Hirohisa Yamaguchi, Yoshinori Yamaguchi en†Atsushi Oku), I know that these guys are not from Germany. Endzweck is a Japanese band. Which becomes clear when you listen to the accent of the singer. Without the lyrics in the booklet, I wouldn’t be able to follow the majority of the lyrics. The singer has a tendency to spit out big words in a split second. In 'Capitalists and Communists', listen to the lines: "Capitalism stole my identity. Communism soil my purityness." Purityness? Ah well, they’re Japanese.
‘The Grapes Of Wrath’ first saw the light of day in 2006, but is now re-released to keep the fans happy until their next full-length comes out. That one is titled ‘The naked and the dead’ and was also previously released, in 2007... I guess Europa is one step behind Japan on this one. The first thing I thought when I listened to this record was: Shai Hulud. The main reason for this is their use of the two guitarists. One of them provides the basic structure, while the other one makes it more interesting by providing melodic lines. This gives the music a melodic touch, and a certain emotionality. If I never heard Shai Hulud before, I would have been pleasantly surprised by this album. But unfortunately, I know Shai hulud.
Yet it still works. The music is catchy, melodic, but never soft and the screaming is alternated by spoken vocals that really add something to the music. They seem to deliver a really energetic live-show, as shown by the video below. We’ll forgive these guys their poor pronunciation. All in all a decent album.





No comments:

Post a Comment